“Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything.”
The Cape Cornwall School Curriculum ensures that all our students have the opportunity for academic and personal development across a broad range of subjects and experiences. It combines equality of opportunity to our core learning with opportunities for students to make individual choices regarding their learning experiences. Acquisition of knowledge and transferable skills are the cornerstones of our student’s progress and we place a high value on building their understanding of community, place and social justice. Lessons and other learning experiences are sequenced to build on students’ prior knowledge, and to ensure that students deepen their understanding of each subject, and the interconnection between subjects and their global context.
Our Curriculum is the foundation to achieving our Core Principles:
- Students leave Cape Cornwall School with high value achievements and the life skills and resilience that provide a platform for future success and happiness.
- We are inspired to work together to research, design and implement highly effective and sustainable solutions to develop and maintain our thriving school community.
- Continuous improvement is achieved through a whole school culture of, and commitment to, creativity, engagement and professionalism.
What is Unique to the study of Music?
The words of Daniel A. Carp illustrate the unique contribution of Music to the Curriculum. “Music is one way for young people to connect with themselves, but is is also a bridge for connecting with others. Through music, we can introduce children to the richness and diversity of the human family and to the myriad rhythms of life.”
Our Cape Music Curriculum allows students to develop an understanding of a wide variety of musical styles and genres through performing, composing and listening & appraising.
- Develop instrumental skills on keyboard and a range of other instruments
- Understand key features of a range of styles and composition techniques employed by their composers
- Compose original music in a variety of styles, taking inspiration from around the world
- Performing music from different periods from Baroque to the present day
- Develop an understanding of how music technology can be utilised in the production and recording or music including using a Digital Audio Workspace
The Cape Cornwall Music Curriculum encompasses, and goes beyond the National Curriculum. Through thoughtful sequencing of topics and lessons it ensures that students develop and retain knowledge and practical skills. Students will also develop in confidence, self-esteem and team skills as they learn independently and in groups.
In addition to our core curriculum students have the opportunity to further learn and explore in the field of music through our extra-curricular activities. ‘Thursday lunchtime Band Club’ and the ‘Be Inspired Band’ are additional activities that allow students to learn, rehearse and perform music in their chosen genre.
The knowledge and skills involved will support students in following a number of future academic and employment opportunities on a local, national or international scale which may include roles such as: Music journalist, Performing Musician, Composer, Songwriter, Artist Manager, Promoter, Session Musician, Musicologist, Studio/ Sound Engineer, Music Educator, Foley/ SFX Engineer, Sound Technician, A&R Scout, Music Supervisor, Conductor, Musical Director, Copyist, Ensemble Leader, Bookings Agent, Events Coordinator.