Key Stage 4 - Years 9, 10 and 11

GCSE Art and Design

At GCSE, Art and Design provides students with a wide range of creative, exciting and stimulating opportunities to explore their interests. It allows for a very broad experience of the Arts with students encouraged to work in and explore several different areas of Art and Design focusing on personal interests and themes as well as guided projects.

What is the course content?

Students will be encouraged to explore the more traditional painting and drawing materials of: pencil, pen, paint, inks and pastels then develop their work into printmaking, collage, textiles, sculpture and painting on MDF. Opportunities will also be available for students to work on digital photography.

Areas of study can include:

Fine Art and Printmaking, Art Textiles, Three-Dimensional Design and Digital Photography.

Students will also be encouraged to critically examine the works of other artists, designers and craftspeople. The research and study of artists and artwork will include the production of written elements to support practical work. A great deal of emphasis will be placed on students’ personal and creative responses to the areas above and they will use a sketchbook in which to record their ideas and plans along the way as well as being expected to create work on a larger scale where appropriate.

Homework will be set regularly to support and strengthen class work.  Students are expected to attend after-school classes.

Assessment:

Students follow the AQA GCSE in Art and Design course and the specification requires that they produce a portfolio of selected work completed during the course which will provide 60% of the total marks at GCSE. The remaining 40% will come from a final examination including preparatory work and supervised time.

Students will hold a final exhibition of their artwork at the end of the course.

Year 9/10 Scheme of Work: Natural Forms

Students will study closely the details of different things from the natural world, such as plants, birds, animals, shells, and fish. They will make observational drawings from these and investigate how other artists have used natural forms in their work. From this they will be able to develop ideas and designs, which they will produce in a variety of media, later incorporating all into a final mixed relief.

Year 9/10 Scheme of Work: Messages

  

Pupils will begin by researching 3 artists that convey a message in their work from the brief. Pupils will research their appropriate war/subject matter in order to produce a mixed media painting based on war. They will experiment with a range of materials and techniques-producing small studies conveying their chosen artist’s style assembling pages of research in their sketchbooks. They will have the opportunity to experiment with Photo shop. Pupils will use their photographs as inspiration for developmental mixed media studies later a basis for a final outcome. There will also be a strong emphasis on drawing, composition and development of ideas.

Year 9/10 Scheme of Work: Still Life

Students begin by exploring the theme of Still Life through the work of Cubist artists Picasso, Braque, Gris, and Jean Metzinger using a variety of drawing skills. They set up their own Still Life grouping producing observational drawings developing students’ skills in recording observations. Students repeat the shapes and the objects, overlapping them to create their own Cubist composition. They are also encouraged to develop their ideas through independent research and investigation. They will design their own Still life Cubist composition.

 

Year 11 Landscapes PPE

Students will begin by researching landscape artists. They will explore the effects of light and colour on everyday subject matter. They will look at the work of various artists such as Claude Monet, Camille Pissaro Andre Derain, Van Gogh, Nateara , and Ken Bushe, experimenting with a range of materials and techniques producing small studies breaking down barriers and preconceived ideas about working with particular mediums. Students are encouraged to work in sketchbooks and learn how to keep a visual record of their developments. Students will draw from relevant subject matter developing ideas for a variety of outcomes.


Tel: 01736 788501