Physical Education

Head of Department

Mr N Gapp

Members of Department

Miss Watkinson

Mr Cassidy

The Physical Education department at Cape Cornwall School offers a wide variety of sporting opportunities both inside and outside the curriculum.  All students are encouraged to lead a healthy and active lifestyle and learn the skills in order to continue this into adulthood.  Students not only develop their physical skills, but their social and mental ability is also developed through leadership opportunities.

 

Key Stage 3:

Year 7

Embedded within the Year 7 Physical Education curriculum is a fitness element that allows all learners to chart the journey of their individual progress in the areas of speed, strength, stamina, suppleness and power.  This includes four fitness tests within the academic year.

Autumn/Spring

Summer

Gymnastics

Football

Strike and Field Activities

SAQ Fitness

Rugby

Tennis

Multiskills

Netball

Athletics

Dance

Basketball

 

 

Hockey

 

KS3 Assessment

Throughout the year students will be assessed on their knowledge, application of skills and fitness.  Students will also compete in a range of inter-house activities to accumulate points towards their house which then culminates at the major school sports day event, in the Summer term.
.

Year 8

Embedded within the Year 8 Physical Education curriculum is a fitness focus which builds upon the Year 7 curriculum encouraging all learners to understand their strengths and weaknesses whilst providing the platform for individual progress in the areas of speed, strength, stamina, suppleness and power.

Autumn/Spring

Summer

Fitness

Hockey

Rounders

Badminton

Football

Tennis

Outdoor Education

Rugby

Athletics

Orienteering

Netball

Cricket

Gymnastics

Basketball

 

KS3 Assessment

Throughout the year students will be assessed on their knowledge, application of skills and fitness.  Students will also compete in a range of winter inter-house activities to accumulate points towards their house which then culminates at the major school sports day event in the Summer term.

 

Key Stage 4 Core Curriculum

Within the Physical Education core curriculum students build upon the skills and techniques developed in the Year 7 and Year 8 curriculum and develop more advanced skills and techniques.  Students understand their strengths and weaknesses and are encouraged to apply these newly acquired skills within games situations and performances.

Autumn/Spring

Summer

Fitness

Volleyball

Rounders

Table Tennis

Football

Tennis

Netball

Trampolining

Athletics

Handball

Rugby

Cricket

 

 

Lacrosse

Throughout Year 9 and 10 students complete in inter-house compettion to accumulate house points towards their house which then culminates at the major school sports day event in the Summer term.

Year 9, 10, 11 Examinable

Through a combination of practical experiences and written assignments BTEC First Award in Sport is made up of two units per academic year.  Students study Unit 1 and Unit 2 'Practical sports performance' in their first year.  In the second year students complete Unit 3 'Psychology of Sport' and Unit 4 'Leadership'.  The final culminates in the last two units which are 'The mind and sports performance' and 'Leading sports activities'.  The course allows for the opportunity for students to complete the course at level 1 and 2.

 

BTEC

Each student will sit a formal online examination which will consist of all elements taught in unit one and will make up 25% of their overall result.  Students will then submit assignments which will be marked internally and verified by Edexcel making up the other 75% of the overall mark.

Examination Board:

Edexcel

Course Specification:

Edexcel 600/4779/3

Qualification obtained:

BTEC First Award in Sport


Tel: 01736 788501